Tuesday 3 May 2011

By The Way, You're Supposed to Enjoy It...

I'm not sure if this is going to sound stupidly obvious or obviously stupid, but it seems to me like a lot of photographers need reminding - You're Supposed To Enjoy It."

A lot of photographers get into photography almost by accident - someone gives them a camera, they take some pictures, they don't stop, they (eventually) turn pro - that kind of thing. I don't have a problem with that, I think thats great, I love the idea that some event or person nudges you in a certain direction, and then some innate un-tapped passion just takes over, and consumes you. That is a true joy. Wonderful!

However, I don't want to sound patronising, and I'm (very much) aware of the fact that I'm not exactly a seasoned pro, but vast swathes of the articles I read on photography are constantly focusing (yeah that's right, I'm punnerific, puntacular, and puntastic) on the negative aspects of photography. To be completely honest, some of it seems to be boardering on fear-mongering. And I just find that kinda strange...


I'm aware of the uncomfortable-yet-true, cold, hard facts. For example, yes, it is a completely saturated market, yes, its difficult to make a lot of money from it, yes professionals are under-fire from amateurs / Flikr. But lets not forget, some photographers really do make a veritable shit-load of money from photography! Whilst doing something they love. I understand that just because you enjoy it, that doesn't guarantee success or money, but I'm not entirely convinced that the people who make money from it could do so without enjoying it, or at least having some passion for it. Yes they have to work hard, but I honestly beleive that nothing drives you harder than passion and desire. Actually, that last sentance is sounds like an Alfa Romeo advert, but, you know what I mean.


Personally, I liked tattoos before I liked photography. I would go to tattoo conventions with my girlfriend, and whilst there I would snap away at all the stuff going-on. Before long, I saved for my first DSLR (Nikon D60), and started getting creative and experimenting. I then realised that what I was really shooting wasn't the tattoos, it was the people. So I followed that thread, and started shooting portraiture. Now, my preferred area of portraiture is latex, fetish, and...drum roll...tattoo! So its kinda come full-circle for me. Lovely.


Anyway, my point is, don't forget to enjoy it. Even if the commercial side of things bores you, set yourself projects for your free time, shoot the stuff you want to shoot, then build-up a portfolio that will get you the kind of jobs you really want to shoot. Get that fire on-the-go, get excited, be inspired!

Easy! Right? Well, obviously there will be complications and compromises, and I don't want to sound like I live in some dream-land where all your wishes come true and elephants can fly, and spanners can drive cars, and Jeremy Kyle contestans are culled, but there's nothing wrong with aiming high, and being a bit of an idealist. 2 or 3 of my tattoos are essentially indelible notes from a younger, more idealist self. The fact that they'll be there forever means that I'll forever be constantly reminded of the passion (there's that 'Alfa' word again!) I had when I was younger. I don't think thats a bad idea, and I think that approach can be used to drive (another 'Alfa' word) your photography forward.

Anyway, thats enough tenuous puns and metaphors for now, just remember what got you started, and why you enjoyed it so much, and go from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment